For my persona text, I think I will use an essay that I wrote in 10th grade. The paper is called "Egg Head" (pretty original, huh?) and I describe my worst teacher ever. He actually wasn't the WORST teacher ever, just his physical appearance was beyond the ridicule. It seems like writing that essay helped me to expand in creativity of descriptions: use fancier words, make extensive use of punctuation, etc.
I'm not completely sure why I want to use this text, but I have a good feeling that it will fit in with the "persona" theme of our final paper. In a way, it did have an impact on my identity as a writer since I now am much more descriptive in my writing, and I pay much closer attention to details when reading (like noticing the implicit meaning behind certain words, punctuation or phrases).
Compared to Tapahonso's style of writing, yes, my persona text is much different. She uses the simple tone of the narrator recounting a story...I'm not saying that it's dull or boring -- the topic of her story is very interesting, but the tone is one that is bringing back a memory; there's no irony, sarcasm, etc.
My persona text has a "mocking" tone...which is necessary since I am mocking my teacher's ridiculous physiognomy. At the end of my paper, though, there is a transformation: the mocking turns into admiration for my teacher, and the same admiration can be felt in Tapahonso's reverence for her culture.
Next to Lohan's video, I find an important similarity: there is that same mocking tone -- she is mocking the people who believe in all the rumors about her. My persona text though, lacks the sarcasm that is evident in her voice and body language.
Great comparisons with the other texts! Hope this helps you come up with a focus for your rough draft! :)
ReplyDeleteI believe your persona text choice sounds like an interesting way of changing your identity as a writer. Being able to use more flavorful and descriptive diction because of writing about a subject or situation that interests you is a great way to develop your own writing persona. I also agree with how you connected your writing to that of Tapahanso and the Lindsey Lohan text because, by the sound of it, your diction seems to be a mixture between that of the two texts, a mockery as well as a story, with more humor than Tapahanso's and less sarcasm than Lindsey's text.
ReplyDelete